In Binna Kim's artwork, she aims to present a stimulating mixture of nature viewed from her vivid imagination and emotional expression.
Whether in colorful abstract works or visual interpretation of nature both infused with emotional imagery, her works demonstrate keen attention to the smallest detail in order to emphasize the depth of expression and emotive beauty of nature. This combination helps bring the audience to a different world, a stage for viewing scenery in an emotionally evocative way. While viewing her works, the artist's visual expression and subsequent interpretation by the audience merge and go hand in hand to evoke a memory, a passion, or a feeling unique to each of us. Binna's works, whether it be detailed drawings or abstract paintings, aim to represent an exquisite, vivid and colorful emotional interpretation of nature's scenery.
The Universe in a Leaf and Apex painting series invites audience to a living world of cells celebrating their existence. She was inspired by the fact that a single cell is at the origin of all life. From that moment on, a cell goes on to reproduce, duplicate, split and literally explode full of joyful life and energy.
Emotions-19 Series focuses on positive emotions that we might have forgotten for a while, such as love, joy, comfort and gratitude. Working on this series during the Covid-19 pandemic, I was constantly reminded of these comforting, positive feelings.
In Serenity, Metamorphosis Drawing Series, the level of fine details and depth in each drawing aims to capture nature in many different and transformative forms, demonstrating Binna's curiosity and her eye for the unique beauty that nature has to offer.
Binna Kim was born in Busan, South Korea and spent most of her childhood in a natural setting enjoying the ocean, mountains and countryside. This rich, beautiful and natural environment inspired her to start making art. Since these early days, nature has been a huge part of her life and inspiration as an artist. Binna majored in food science but painting and drawing were always her passion and the most inspirational elements in her life. In the last several years, Binna’s art works were featured at several renowned galleries in New York City. In addition, she became a professional floral designer using some of the most beautiful elements nature has to offer to create floral, plant-based designs and installation art sets. For several years, she has been making on a weekly basis floral arrangement for Le Bernardin restaurant – 3-star Michelin - and Rainbow Room among other illustrious venues in New York City. Her window display installation art sets were presented at Beretta, Madison Ave Gallery and Oxxford Clothes on Fifth Ave. In addition, her installation art set for the holidays’ decoration designed for Le Bernardin was mentioned as " The Most Beautiful Holiday Decorations in 2017” in Architectural Digest.
One of her drawings 'Serenity No.1' was selected as a winner of 9th Artslant Prize in drawing category. Also her painting, 'The Universe in a Leaf No.3' was featured 2021 summer cover of the Artlines magazine - WCA(Women's Caucus for Art)'s biannual publication. Her paintings, ‘The Universe in a Leaf No.8 and No.9 were selected to be exhibited at Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum – exclusively for members only - April 10 – 15, 2022.
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITION
- 2022 'Art Exchange America & Japan, members only' Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Art curated by Julienne Johnson from April 10th - 15th.
- 2021 Market Art & Design The Hamptons Art Fair
- 2020 Art Series IX "Real, Surreal scape & Contemporary Abstractions" at Studio Anise in Soho, NYC
- 2020 "She is..." at One Art Space in Tribeca, NYC
- 2019 Spatial Transformations Part 1,2,3 & "Painting vs Drawing" at Studio Anise in Soho, NYC
- 2019 Winter Group Shows Part 2 at Onishi Gallery in Chelsea, NYC
- 2019 Group show at NAWA (National Association of Women Artists) in NYC
- 2018 Off The Wall at Plaxall Gallery in Long Island City, NY
- 2018 ARTIF ACTS at One Art Space in Tribeca, NYC
- 2018 Benefit Auction at The Drawing Center, NYC
- 2018 Eternal Summer at One Art Space in Tribeca, NYC
- 2018 Transformation at One Art Space in Tribeca, NYC
- 2018 Drawing 2017, an exhibition of 20 international artists at Gallery 25N
- 2017 Making Connections ll at The City Deford Gallery(Citigroup Building) in Long Island City,NY
- 2017 Making connections at The Plaxall Gallery in Long Island City, NY
- 2017 Winner of Drawing category : 9th Artslant Prize
- 2017 IGOA gallery, Theme "Anima l& wildlife"
- 2017 Projekt 30, Monthly Exhibition in May and July
- 2017 Bauhausprairie art gallery, Theme "Abstract" and "Artist's favorite work"
- 2016 Honorable Mentions : IGOA (www.international-gallery.org) Art-open "No Theme"
- 2016 Projekt 30, Monthly Exhibition in October and November